Automation of The National Central Library
Since 1997 TLSB introduced the programme of decentralization of its services in the regions. The objective is to involve and empower local authorities in library development in their localities through cost sharing.
This programme is scheduled to be implemented in 5 phases. The first phase was the creation of Regional Library Boards. So far there are 18 Regional Library Boards chaired by Municipal Directors. The Boards are responsible for mobilizing resources for library development and promote use of libraries.
2.0. Projects Objectives:
The major objectives of the project are: -
- To introduce ICT at the national Central Library in order to increase access to learning and teaching materials to include use of CD-ROM and VIDEO Tapes, E-mail and Internet.
- To have all management, and control operations computerized.
- To facilitate easy communication and coordination among TLS network and other libraries within and outside the country.
2.1. Immediate objectives
- To facilitate timely access and retrieval of information.
- To automate library functions and activities so as to enhance performance efficiency at all level.
- To promote ICT as a learning tool in order to facilitate resources sharing among libraries within and outside the country.
2.2. Target Beneficiaries
The main beneficiaries of the proposed project are library patrons such as students, youth, adults researchers, politicians, consultants, decision-makers, policy makers, and other professionals. Others are National Central library staff whose responsibilities are, amongst other things, to acquire, organise, store, retrieve, and disseminate to the public.
2.3. Project Strategy
- The user needs assessment of information services at TLS headquarters and regional libraries.
- Assessment and evaluation of TLSB resource base i.e. Collection, buildings, staffing, training etc.
- The selection and acquisition of needed hardware, software and other equipment for automation.
- Mobilization of local and external resources for IT development.
- Installation and fixture of equipments.
- Training of staff on ICT.
- Automation process