School of Library Archives and Documentation Studies (SLADS)
Front View of School of Library Archives and Documentation Studies (SLADS) classes in Bagamoyo
Elementary Course Students who study computer applications
The School of Library, Archives and Documentation studies was established in 1989 under the umbrella of Tanzania Library Services Board, which is empowered by the Tanzania Library Services Board Act of 1975 to conduct long and short courses in Library, Archives, Documentation and Information Studies. The courses are conducted at two different campuses. The Diploma programme is provided from the Bagamoyo campus while the certificate programme is provided from the campus at the National central Library in Dar es Salaam.
SLADS Governing Council is the highest organ in the school�s structure, and the final authority on matters affecting operations and the general welfare of the school.
To produce a well trained LIS and Archives management cadre capable and competent to manage libraries, records and archives offices in government departments, parastatal organisations and also NGOs in the country with a view to facilitating effective and meaningful transfer of information and knowledge,
To produce well trained library, records and archives managers competent to manage library and infor�mation centres, records and archives offices in government and non-government organizations and also private organizations subsequent to which is to facilitate effective use of information and knowledge for the organization and national prosperity in the respective sectors.
Mission of The School is To:
- Offer courses of training in Librarianship, Records management and Documentation studies at certificate diploma levels.
- Provide for continuing education for librarians, records and archives managers and documentalists in the country.
- Promote and conduct research in librarianship, documentation, records and archival studies.
- Publish learning materials in librarianship documentation, records and archival studies.
- Offer consultancy services in planning, establishment and development of libraries, archives and documentation centres.
- Library service department
- Bibliographic studies department
- Information studies department
- Archival studies department
- Certificate studies department
Diploma Course in Library Archives and Documentation Studies
Entry Requirements: 'A' level with at least one principal pass OR 'O' level with at least three credit passes plus a Certificate in Librarianship, Archives or Records Management
Duration: Two years beginning October of every year
Venue: SLADS at UKUNI Bagamoyo.
The course is residential.
Award: Diploma in Library Archives, Documentation and Records Management,
Fee: Tshs 792,000/= p.a. excluding meals, accommodation, stationery and other allowances payable to students as per Government Circular .
Click to download the 2011/2012 Prospectus , the Invitation for Application 2012/2013 and the Online Application Form
Library Assisistants Certificate Course
Entry Requirements: O level with at least three credit passes
Duration: One year beginning October of every year. The course is non-residential.
Venue: SLADS at UKUNI Bagamoyo.
Awards: Library Assistant Certificate
Fees: Tshs 502,000/= excluding meals, accommodation, stationery, and other allowances
Other Courses Offered
- Elementary Course
- Government Higher and Lower Standard Library Examinations
Tailor Made courses on various aspects of Library, Archival and Documentation Studies
For More Information Contact:
School of Library, Archives and Documentation Studies,
P.O. Box 227,
Tel.: (255) 023-2440101
Location: Bagamoyo, Coast Region